201 Third Street
Little Valley, New York  14755
Phone: 716-938-6441 
Fax: 716-938-6057
E-mail: townlv1@yahoo.com
Home
History
Town Officials
School
Current Events
 

 






HISTORY

H O M E   O F  T H E   T I M B E R W O L V E S


Nestled in the foothills of the Allegany's is the small town of Little Valley, New York. Incorporated on April 10, 1818 the town remains surprisingly much like it was at that time. It is a picturesque, peaceful areas to raise a family.

Within the township is the Village of Little Valley. Many immigrants found their way to the tiny town by way of the first roads to the village - - the Old Chautauqua Road, which passed north of the present village and the Jamestown Road that ran through the Village of Napoli and then Jamestown. Bound for the Ohio Reserve area many stayed on, attracted by the beauty of the hills and streams, the abundance of timber, game and fish, and water power for small mills.

Lots were laid out by the Holland Land Company and soon the settlement began to take shape. In 1821 Lyman Lee built the first grand house in the village. His son Erastus Lee built the house on the corners of Seventh and Erie Street's, which remain today as one of the beautiful older homes in the town.

Slowly the Town began to grow. A tavern was built by Benjamin Fuller. A hotel located at the corner of Erie and Sixth Street was first known as the Empire House operated by C.H. Titus. At a later date it was taken over by George E. Drew who operated it under the name of the Exchange Hotel. The building was later made into apartments.

The first store in the Village was opened in 1850 by Horace Howe.

Two doctors from New England settled in the Valley. A Dr. Daniel Bucklin from Vermont came in 1839 and was followed in by Dr. Lyman Twomley from New Hampshire in 1852.

Little Valley's Post Office was established before 1839, operating from the home of Post Master Stephen Crosby. In 1833 Cyrus Shepard held the appointment. The accrued postage from that year was reported $32.80.

In May 1851 the completion of Route to the Erie Railroad was celebrated. Little Valley was selected as a station.

In 1865 an act was passed to remove the County Seat from Ellicottville to a point on the railroad. Anxious to procure the County Seat for Little Valley, Little Valley and Napoli voted at a special town meeting to raise the sum of $10,000 and $3,000 respectively to secure the location. Additional amounts were raised by individual bond to relieve the county of any expense in the removal. A committee appointed by the Governor selected Little Valley as the site. The Newspaper called the Cattaraugus Republican was moved to Little Valley from Ellicottville following the removal of the County Seat.

A cornerstone was laid on August 22, 1867, ready for occupancy in 1868.

The Cattaraugus County Agricultural Society was organized in 1844 and the Little Valley site was visited by Horace Greely, a candidate for President. He spoke at the opening session of the Fair held in 1872 at its permanent location.

Soon school districts were formed, sawmills established, and a brick factory was located by what today is called the Brick Point. There was a cheese factory, the Kellog Washing Machine Company, and a Mangle Roller Company.

The Town was soon becoming the "thriving metropolis" of that day. Several churches were established, a bank, two black-smith shops, feed mill, newspaper office, courthouse, jail, ten stores and three hotels. The Opera House located on Park Place was a three-story brick structure built in 1880 and added much to the life of the community. It was there that high school dances, commencements, exercises, wrestling matches, basketball games and other activities were held.

Little Valley was a bustling town but still maintained its quietness and simplicity. It's a great place to live and raise a family.


Calendar | Links | Publications